Truwex: A New Accessibility Tester

Posted March 1st, 2007 by Team Access

We were recently made aware of a new accessibility testing tool called Truwex Online 2.0 Beta created by Erigami of Moscow, Russia. It’s pretty impressive, so much so that we’ve added to our Resources Page line-up of testing tools. It seems to be a well-rounded tool and it offers one feature we found especially helpful…

After you enter the web address and click the button, it provides the results broken down into tabbed sections. One tab, called “Map” provides a visual of the page with an arrow pointing out the specific culprit. No more counting lines trying to figure out what the heck the tester is talking about — very nice. Truwex: the “True Web Experience.” Check it out for yourself.

15 Responses to: “Truwex: A New Accessibility Tester”

1. Mel Pedley responds:
    Posted: March 1st, 2007 at 12:40 pm

I like the analysis of how much text can be read by a screen reader within 90 seconds. That’s a very different way of looking at page structure and I’m already considering making changes to a page that I put through Truwex on the basis of this report.

Definitely a very useful tool and one I’ll be using in the future.

2. David Zemens responds:
    Posted: March 1st, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Just when I had my XHTML and CSS validating, and WebXact saying my site was valid Priority 3, I just had to go and test it with this new tool.

Geesh, I am humbled again. Now I gotta get back to work!

Seriously, looks like a pretty comprehensive tool. Thanks for making me aware of it.

3. Rob Mason responds:
    Posted: March 2nd, 2007 at 4:02 am

Just run a quick check on one of my sites and found loads of issues and warnings. It appears as though the main culprit is Google Ads!

4. Mike Cherim responds:
    Posted: March 2nd, 2007 at 9:40 am

A problem with Google Ads — two of the problems, anyway — is they’re in iframes and if they are image ads there’s no alt text. The latter is definitely needed as they are links. When viewing source the iframes aren’t apparent, but peeking at generated source reveals the dark side to them.

5. Dennis responds:
    Posted: March 2nd, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Pretty comprehensive tool. I don’t understand the Privacy section though–what does a privacy policy and third-party links have to do with web accessibility?

Also, one of my sites is on Blogger and it sure gave a lot of flags! What’s up with Google and poor accessibility?

6. Mike Cherim responds:
    Posted: March 2nd, 2007 at 1:06 pm

@Dennis: Hmm. Nothing I suppose. Maybe it’s like WebXact in that it tests for more stuff than just accessibility.

7. Gill responds:
    Posted: March 3rd, 2007 at 4:18 pm

Interesting tool but I have a few issues with it and I’ve emailed them with a problem.

The third party links bit is odd, they seem to want you to have an intermediate page for all off-site links that says something along the lines of “Are you sure you want to leave this site? yes/no” that would drive me nuts!

The problem is with the colour checker. There is an Accessibility Color Wheel that I regularly use and it disagrees with the Truwex results. It also seems that if there is a background image anywhere in the div, whether the text is near it or not, it flags a contrast error. This means that the page will be flagged as failing WCAG checks even though there’s nothing wrong with it. I personally think those should go in warnings not errors.

8. Tommy Olsson responds:
    Posted: March 6th, 2007 at 2:36 am

My blog’s first page and the office site’s first page passed all tests, except for the privacy issue (no P3P policy). Some of the ‘warnings’ are a bit odd, as others have said. External links are bad? When did that happen? Most of the ‘warnings’ are not really warnings at all, just information about things that need to be checked manually.

Also, for an accessibility checker I find it ironic that clicking the ‘Map’ tab produces an error message that only IE and Firefox are supported. But when I set Opera to spoof as Firefox the page loads and seems to work.

All in all it looks quite good, though. It’s reasonably fast and the results are presented in an easily understood fashion.

9. Vladimir Popov responds:
    Posted: March 7th, 2007 at 6:08 am

To Dennis,

Mike is right, Truwex checks not only web accessibility. Privacy is important for corporate and government websites. So you may uncheck this option.

To Gill,

Third party links.
    Third party links are important for corporate privacy. There are different US laws (banking sites), which regulate out coming links. Anyway if is not good if a website is linked to bad neighborhoods. The Truwex product (not online tool) has settings to exclude legitimate links out of this report. We will think to move this issue to warnings.

Color contrast.
    We already responded you. We believe Truwex works correct here. The results are the same with the Color Wheel tool.

To Tommy Olsen,

P3P policy is a privacy requirement. You may uncheck it on your website.

Not legitimate external links are bad for corporate sites. We will move this issue to warnings.

Opera browser.
    We are sorry that Truwex map is not supported for Opera right now. Will add other browser support with time. If fact, the JavaScript behind Map is quite complex to develop and every browser requires a separate version. Currently we have the following browsers: Firefox 53%, IE 36%, Opera 4.8%, Safari 4%.

Thank you ALL for the feedback!
    Thank you Mike for supporting us!

10. Gill responds:
    Posted: March 8th, 2007 at 6:53 pm

Hi Vladimir, thanks for the reply but I didn’t get it.

It was very odd though. It complained about a green I had but not in every instance which is why I thought it might have something to do with background images. For example, a small image, top right in a large Div. The text isn’t anywhere near the image but all instances of that colour text were flagged. The same colour in another Div with no background image was ignored. I’ll do some more checking once I’ve got a pile of work out of the way.

11. Gill responds:
    Posted: March 11th, 2007 at 11:29 am

Vladimir I’ve sent you through a test page of a site I’m working on. It’s being rejected with low contrast text. The text in question is #ff0000 on a white background. The colour wheel thinks this is fine and gives me a contrast of 510.

12. Irina Kochetova responds:
    Posted: March 14th, 2007 at 5:50 am

Hello, Gill,

We’ve responded you via email about this contrast issue. Hope this time it reaches you.

In brief, it is the WCAG 2.0 low-contrast check that did not pass – the luminosity contrast ratio for red on white is 4.0, what is not enough for this requirement. In WCAG 2.0 the luminosity contrast ratio is important and not color or brightness difference. You can recheck color combinations online with JuicyStudio Luminosity Contrast Ratio Analyser.

13. Gill responds:
    Posted: March 14th, 2007 at 3:15 pm

Hi Irina, I was about to say I hadn’t received it again, then I went online and checked Google’s spam mail and you’re in there. Seems it doesn’t like the .ru address.

So it seems the Accessibility Colour Wheel I use is different to Juicy Studio. JS fails the colour and the ACW passes it. ACW says the contrast is 5.1 and therefore OK.

Hmmm I think an email is in order.

14. Gill responds:
    Posted: March 16th, 2007 at 12:14 pm

OK got you now. It’s not the contrast or the brightness it’s the luminosity. All the colour checkers agree with each other on c & b.

15. mcdave.net » links for 2007-03-18 responds:
    Posted: March 18th, 2007 at 1:22 am

[…] Accessites.org » Truwex: A New Accessibility Tester Truwex Online 2.0 Beta created by Erigami of Moscow, Russia. (tags: accessibility tools testing validation) […]

Sorry. Comments are closed.

Note: This is the end of the usable page. The image(s) below are preloaded for performance only.